H-3 Visa

The H-3 Visa is specifically designed to enable you to train in the US in almost any discipline. USCIS calls this loose classification, ‘any field of endeavor’. This includes agriculture, technology, communications and governmental leadership. This loose classification does not include people seeking graduate medical training. Nurses and medical students on vacation, however, may be eligible for the H-3 Visa. Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join you in the US under the H-4 status. Family members are not permitted to work while in the US


The H-3 Visa is not self-petitioned An employer must petition on behalf of you, the trainee. The employer must provide certain evidence about the training, including a description of the training program, your compensation (if any) and reasons why you need the training. The employer must then submit a petition on Form I-129 with the regional USCIS center that has jurisdiction over the place where the training will be offered.


Along with the requisite nonimmigrant application documents, the H-3 Visa requires your employer provide the following:

  1. Proof that this training is not available in your home country, and that this training will aid you in your career.
  2. Proof that you will not engage in willful employment while in the US
  3. Proof that the training is formal in nature.